The Green Tree Church of the Brethren began as a mission effort in the early 1830s from the Coventry Church of the Brethren in the Pottstown area. This fledgling group held public worship in local schoolhouses and prayer meetings in their homes. One of the ministers of the group, John Umstad, donated land for a church building in Oaks, PA.
In 1845 a stone meetinghouse was built. It was erected beside a large evergreen tree which is how the church acquired its name. Baptisms were held at the Green Tree congregation just south of the church in the Schuylkill River. Around 1890, the people remodeled and expanded the building by adding a vestibule and a Sunday School wing. As the congregation grew they reached out to the Upper Providence Township area by opening up the church for local school commencement services and other community gatherings. In addition, a Sunday School band also attracted people from the community.
In 1975, a new church building was constructed across the street on the north side of Egypt road. The old church site is now marked by a memorial stone which is located on the east side of the Green Tree Cemetery. In 1998, the congregation added a multi-purpose room and kitchen to the east side of the church to allow for more room and functionality.
The Green Tree congregation continues to connect to the local community by encouraging support groups to meet at the church such as Al-Alon, Alateen, Adult Children of Alcoholics, and Overeaters Anonymous. Various scouting groups also use the church along with local groups that use the multi-purpose room for volleyball and indoor soccer.